Sea Turtle Nesting Season takes place annually from May until October. To help make sure they have a successful nesting season, we ask that you please take the following into consideration when visiting our Captiva Beaches.
- Turn off or shield all lights that are visible from the beach. Do not use flashlights or cell phone lights on the beach. If necessary, use amber or red LED bulbs.
- Do not disturb the screens covering nests. They prevent predators from eating the eggs and the hatchlings emerge through the holes without assistance.
- Remove all beach furniture and equipment from the beach at night.
- Dispose of fishing line properly to avoid wildlife entanglement.
- Fill in large holes that can trap hatchlings and nesting sea turtles.
- Do not disturb nesting turtles – please do not to get too close, shine lights on, or take flash photos of nesting sea turtles.
- Pick up litter.
If you would like more information about Sea Turtles and what is being done to protect them, please visit our friends at the SCCF's website here.
If you would like to be able to track the number of nests on Captiva you can do so here.
Adopt a Sea Turtle Nest
If you would like to symbolically adopt a sea turtle nest please visit SCCF Adopt a Sea Turtle Nest for more information.
To report any issues with nests, nesting turtles, or hatchlings, please call the Sea Turtle Hotline: 978-728-3663